Brexit - What does it mean for you?


Building- and construction-related challenges abroad?

Let us help you comply with regulations

Have you been denied access to the construction site?

There have been huge infrastructure investments in Norway in the past years, offering many excellent opportunities for Danish construction companies, but building in Norway or abroad in general is not without its problems.

This is a sector where registration, security and reporting are mandatory, and it may have major consequences not to have control of your obligations, not only in relation to authorities, but indeed also in terms of compliance with the agreements entered into.

We have all reporting obligations under control so you will avoid having employees being denied access to the construction site, materials not arriving on time or not passing the border properly (or cars being turned away completely and having to go back), thus creating unnecessary waiting time at the construction site.

Or do you need assistance in connection with Danish personnel going to Norway to perform service, assembly or repair?

With an experienced partner, you can deliver a professional service, fulfil the agreements with your customers and ensure that the service is delivered on time. At the same time, you can rest assured that you will avoid hefty tax bills and fines in connection with work abroad.


Frequently Asked Questions

I have to apply for a HSE card, what do I have to do?

Danish construction companies that send employees to Norwegian construction sites are often supplied with an identity card that gives access to the construction site. This card is called HSE card or construction and building card. (HSE = Health, Environment and Safety). The card is linked to a company/person and can therefore be used on different building and construction sites and projects in Norway.

The HSE card identifies the specific employee and at the same time gives them access to the building and construction site. This also means that without an HSE card, the employee will not be able to access the site. Obviously, there can be problems if an agreed job cannot be done because the employee does not have an HSE card.

All Danish companies must be registered for VAT in Norway in order to be able to apply for HSE cards for employees working in Norway.

Our Danish company has been hired for a project in Norway. What do I have to do?

It is important that you as a company are prepared for a number of challenges in connection with start-up and contract work in Norway.

In order to perform contract and subcontract work in Norway you must register in Norway. There are several ways to register in Norway, but many choose the NUF registration (Norwegian-registered foreign company). Initially, you must have a corporate ID. If your turnover exceeds NOK 50,000.00, you will also have to register for VAT in Norway.

There are lots of exciting construction projects in Norway, and our experience is that the Norwegian market deliberately seeks skilled Danish craftsmen.

Here at IntraVAT we can help you get started. With our many years of experience, we make sure you get registered in Norway. We offer you guidance and help with your reporting and communication with the Norwegian authorities etc. So contact us and let us help you get started in Norway.

I have to bring my own tool for a project in Norway, which I have to bring back home. What do I do?

When you need to bring to Norway your own tool for a project, you must have an ATA-Carnet issued. An ATA Carnet is a customs document that replaces import and export papers. At the same time it is also security for customs fees and charges in the countries participating in the scheme. We can say that this is your tool’s “passport”. 

ATA-Carnet allows temporary import of the tool to another country for up to 1 year. And temporary import means that the tool may remain and be used in the given country for 1 year and must then be returned to Denmark before the validity of the ATA Carnet expires.

However, please note that you cannot use an ATA Carnet for building materials. Only for your tools.


How is project work in Norway reported to the authorities?

When you want to work on a Norwegian project that has a contract value of NOK 20,000 or more, you have to report to Norwegian authorities. The report must be submitted shortly after the contract has been signed, and not later than 14 days after the project has commenced.

This is what the reporting chain looks like:

The main employer (usually the Norwegian company) must report all assignments and companies it enters into agreements with. And of course, your own employees shall be included as well.

The contractor (the company that has undertaken the assignment from the main employer in Norway) is required to report its own employees working on the assignment and subcontractors, if any.

Companies 2 levels below the Employer are required to report to Norwegian authorities. This means that the Contractor’s subcontractors also have an obligation to report.

This reporting can be done in 2 ways:

1. By filling in a form (RF1198/RF1199), where you provide information about the assignment, contractor (your company), your employees and about the project itself. A paper copy of the form, together with a copy of the employee's passport etc., has to be sent to the Norwegian Tax Agency.

2. If you have access to the Norwegian authorities' contract registration system, you can report data directly in it. However, you are still required to attach a copy of employee passports etc.

Please contact us, and we can also assist you with forms, filling these forms as well as reporting on your behalf.


How long does it take to register a company abroad?

There are big differences in how long it takes to register abroad with a VAT number, and there are major differences in the documentation required.

In Scandinavia/Northern Europe it takes about +/-4 weeks, but elsewhere or if it is a very busy period, it takes a bit longer. You might also be required to present some original documents and/or documents approved and signed by a Danish notary.

What is a Norwegian D-number?

A Norwegian D-number corresponds to the Danish CPR number. However, a D-number is given to foreign nationals (not Norwegian).

If, as a Danish employee, you are working on a construction site in Norway, you must apply for a D-number in order to get an HSE card and thus enter a Norwegian construction site.

IntraVAT helps many companies' employees apply for a Norwegian D-number. Please contact us if you need a D-number.

Do I have to pay tax in Norway?

As a Danish employee who works in Norway, you are not generally subject to taxation in Norway.

You can work in Norway for up to 183 days a year without having to pay Norwegian tax on your personal income (salary).

However, as in Denmark, you must have a Norwegian tax card, which states that you are not subject to taxation in Norway.

If you want to keep 100% control of your personal taxation and avoid ugly surprises, please contact us for a detailed review.

Social security abroad

When Danish employees perform work abroad, they must apply for an A1 certificate.

In case employees do not have an A1 certificate; the employer must pay social security in the country where the employee works and thus will pay social security both in Denmark and abroad.

The A1 application is personal and is made via

You're are more than welcome to contact us, if you have additional questions.

Get in touch

Looking for something that better reflects your needs?

We need to know your business in order to give you the best possible service